Re: IDE

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 20:06:29 +0200

> IMO, we should support both the "traditional" Emacs style, and the
> style users expect because other IDEs provide them.

As a long-time emacs user that uses IDEs these days, I don't need emacs
to look like an IDE to go back to using it for all programming.

I need the functionality I'm missing when I'm back in emacs:
 - run tests interactively and get easy-to-navigate feedback from
   failing tests
 - completion (I plan to check out company mode that I learned about
   from this thread)
 - navigation, most used:
  - go to definition of a symbol
  - go to usages of a symbol
  - go to derived symbols (in languages with inheritance)
  - go base symbols (ditto)
 - for refactoring, renaming support would cover >90% of what I use,
   other refactoring support I use, are:
    - copy/cut/paste of methods and other class members from a outline
      (maybe that's already supported these days?)
    - move members up and down in class hierarchies (I don't use this
      all that much, but it's nice to have when I need it)

That's all I can think about, offhand.