Re: IDE

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 14:40:54 -0700

> Lots of subtle details of how Emacs commands behave in various situations
> are convenient for some users. Users have chosen their usage based on those
> details. A simple and clean scheme to make things uniform can be very
> elegant, and yet make many users unhappy.

I do agree with this. Any uniform core must allow for the idiosyncratic
behaviors people have come to rely upon. If we find this cannot be done,
I'd give up on the attempt.

What I want to explore is whether things can be better. We have great
unification in some areas, and I've a sense there are more opportunities
if we can build the right layers of abstraction.

John