Re: RCS, again: another removed functionality: undo last-checkin

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: RCS, again: another removed functionality: undo last-checkin
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 09:37:58 +0300

On 10/02/2015 05:27 AM, Richard Stallman wrote:

   > Please elaborate: do you really benefit from the ability to lock the
   > file in advance?

No, I didn't know about that feature.  The message said "locking",
so I tought it meant locking by checkout.

See e.g. vc-steal-lock. It's only used in vc-next-action.

If you don't use RCS in a multi-level environment, same as Eli, and nobody else does, we don't really need that locking feature, and so we don't need vc-next-action to "steal the lock" as a separate step. We don't need that function, and we don't need the `steal-lock' backend command.

If RCS demands that a file is locked to the current user before committing (I'm not sure), vc-rcs-checkin could do that.