Re: New maintainer

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: New maintainer
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2015 18:55:55 -0700

> Getting ideological about this saves oneself from sinking an arbitrary
> amount of effort in endeavors that are constantly under threats outside of
> the developers' control and can be killed at the whim of parties not
> interested in free software.
>
> I don't want an Emacs maintainer ultimately banking on the goodwill of Apple
> regarding the invested efforts. That's not an inspiring work environment.

I'm bitten by this _regularly_ in the Nix world, so I'm not seeking to tether
anyone to the developer churn happening over at Apple. Just this week I had to
downgrade to XCode 6.4, because 7.0 broke my entire world.

My OS X story for Emacs is mostly this: Give Mitsuharu Yamamoto whatever help
he needs. His "Mac port" variant of Emacs is all I could ask for in terms of
OS X support right now. I'd like to see it modernized under Cocoa, if at all
possible, or promoted to a build flavor in the master branch.

I'm not talking about upheaval here, just equal footing, and paying attention
to OS X (and other platform) gripes as they arise -- like the slow sub-process
bug in Cocoa Emacs that has been a show-stopper for some of us for several
years now.

You'll find I'm upfront with my opinions, but it's not my desire to alienate
*anyone* from participating, joyfully, in making Emacs a great community and
development experience.

John