Re: New maintainer

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: New maintainer
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2015 17:38:38 -0700

> You've manufactured that distinction artificially in order to make people
> think that the two are mutually exclusive. Please don't do that. How can it
> be the best possible GNU/Emacs if it doesn't respect my freedom?

I have contrasted attending to the politics of the FSF with the technical
needs of Emacs, and asked which one was primary in the search for a
maintainer. That is all.

> I wouldn't go as far as calling this "ethical skills" but yes, it seems like
> a cultural mismatch that would appear likely to cause considerable friction
> in choosing consistent priorities for ongoing development.

It's possible this is true. I don't seek to change anything about Emacs from a
legal standpoint, but I would be more vocal in wanting better support for non-
GNU platforms, such as OS X.

If this makes me an undesirable candidate, that's quite understandable. But
know that first and foremost I care about *Emacs*, and not the politics of the
FSF. If that's more important than technical considerations, let the
maintainer be chosen accordingly.

John