Re: New maintainer

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: New maintainer
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2015 08:29:07 +0200

Am 05.10.2015 um 23:20 schrieb Dmitry Gutov:
On 10/05/2015 10:02 PM, John Wiegley wrote:

[ ... ]
Another area we're falling behind in is the type of IDE features that are taken for granted in special-purpose editing environments, such as effortless code browsing, refactoring, and more interactive debugging. The things you can do when editing Java and Javascript are downright impressive, and I see no
reason Emacs can't compete better here.

That area is closer to my interests, and I'd happily see one more person (or several) participate in these discussions, but preferably in lower-level terms (like the details of the xref interface, or the project API). So far, they've ended more in disagreement than anything else, and it's pretty discouraging.

IMO rather third party libraries should be encouraged.

For example WRT Python we have already several:

the python-mode.el/pymacs/rope eco-system
emacs-for-python,
and elpy, relying on shipped python.el  and jedi/rope

AFAICS Emacs provides all to built IDEs upon. OTOH doing it requires special knowledge in the languages, which can't be expected from core-developers.

Exists related efforts at other languages.

Emacs core-developers could have a stronger role by advising them.
Strengthening communication in community seems the way to go WRT IDEs.