Re: New maintainer

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: New maintainer
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2015 22:03:05 +0200

Am 03.10.2015 um 21:26 schrieb John Wiegley:
David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
Uh, it's the fundamental tenet of the GNU project. Free Software's value
does not rest on relative benefits and virtues but on the fundamental
software freedoms. The stance of the FSF fundamentally differs from that of
the "Open Source" software camp which tries to paint Free Software as a
superior development model, consequently giving a nod to proprietary
software as long as it is successful.
Thanks for clarifying that, David, I very much appreciate your tone of
presentation.

The whole point of GNU is the non-acceptance of software denying the users
the fundamental software freedoms. This constitutes a moral judgment and as
such is indistinguishable from "demonizing opponents" or at the very least
damning their actions.
Then I respectfully withdraw myself as a candidate for maintainer. Damning by
implication is one thing; setting out to defame other organizations in order
to make one's own appear the standard of virtue is something else entirely,
and I do not wish to be associated with such methods.

Thanks to all for their supporting words and encouragement, and to the FSF for
having this frank and open discussion with me on the issues that matter.

John

Don't think a moral is 'indistinguishable from demonizing opponents", as David writes. That's a misguided pseudo-religous approach. Also AFAIK it's not the declared FSF policy.

Cheers,

Andreas