Re: burden of maintainance

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: burden of maintainance
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2015 22:18:16 +0200

Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2015 20:46:15 +0200
From: Andreas Röhler <address@hidden>
CC: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>

Suggestions for how to improve our test suite without alienating
potential contributors are welcome.
What about saying: no checkin before the tests passed?
That is OK, but what to do if some tests fail for many moons before
they are fixed?  We cannot stop development because of that.

Let's understand tests as valid ones and checkins as non-trivial.

It would suffice to put intelligent test-writing into the focus - where it's not yet or not yet to extend it deserves.

Coverage and quality of tests should be an integral part of developing.
That's the hard part.  Our current coverage is quite low (my
impression; it would be good to have some tool that can measure
that).  Worse, for interactive features (and there are a lot of them),
we lack the infrastructure for writing automated tests.

Let's note that.

   Also, I don't
quite see who will write tests for large portions of the C code, given
how few people are even prepared to work on that.

Estimating one hour invested in writing the right tests might save ten-fold or more of development time afterwards.

   The result is that
getting closer to good coverage is a huge job.

WRT to maintainance there are also redundancy, complexity which might be
worked on.
Alas, there are wildly different views on what is and isn't complex.

Keeping an eye at the number of symbols - too many blow up the language,
make in harder for beginners than needed.
Which symbols did you have in mind?

Not a special one at the moment. Just got the feeling the collection of used symbols were growing and growing last years.