Re: [Emacs-diffs] master db828f6: Don't rely on defaults in decoding UTF

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master db828f6: Don't rely on defaults in decoding UTF-8 encoded Lisp files
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2015 10:39:35 +0300

> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2015 21:44:19 -0700
> Cc: emacs-devel <address@hidden>
>
> David Kastrup wrote:
> > The default is defined by the compiled language.  For C, it is
> > essentially 8-bit bytes where the meaning-carrying subset is ASCII.
>
> That was true for C99 and earlier, but it stopped being true in C11, where
> the
> source-file encoding does matter and where UTF-8 is the only sane default
> nowadays.

I don't see any language to that effect in the C11 Final Draft I have
here.  AFAICT, non-UTF-8 multibyte sequences are still supported by
C11.  Can you show the text on which you based the above assertion?

Maybe you are talking about encoding of the identifier names.  What I
had in mind was comments and strings, not identifier names.