Re: RCS, again: another removed functionality: undo last-checkin

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: RCS, again: another removed functionality: undo last-checkin
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 20:24:39 +0300

On 09/21/2015 08:06 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

But what about CVS?  Its "rollback" command does remove the commit
upstream.

CVS has a "rollback" command? But if it does, sure, that's exactly what I mean.

Going from RCS to Git needs some generalization, so if Git's rollback
will affect the remote, when it should, it's OK, I think.

It won't. That would be doubly dangerous. 'git revert', by itself, doesn't affect the remote either.

Like I said, for CVS/RCS/SVN commands (which unavoidably affect the remote, because there's no "local" repository), the correspondent commands in Git/Hg/Bzr will only act on the local repository.

We have `vc-push' for propagating those changes upstream.