Re: RCS: (vc-next-action 1) only New Backend

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: RCS: (vc-next-action 1) only New Backend
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 10:59:24 +0200

Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:

> When I try to follow these steps, running Emacs -Q,  in step 8 I just
>
> I found the culprit:
>
> In the *old* vc version the relevant functions were:
>
> (defun vc-rcs-checkin (file rev comment)
> (defun vc-checkin (file &optional rev comment initial-contents)
>

> Now they are:
> (defun vc-checkin (files backend &optional comment initial-contents)
> (defun vc-rcs-checkin (files comment)
>

> There is no argument for rev.
>
> I already contacted the author.
>
> I find this feature allowing rev as an parameter very useful, but I
> first want to discuss the issue with the author.

IIRC VC was given some significant surgery around the time where Emacs
was migrated to a Git repository in order to better support file-set
check-ins and various workflows for distributed version control systems.

I seem to remember that some RCS-only features were debated and possibly
dropped at that time because ESR (along with a lot of others) were not
terribly sympathetic towards complicating the generic framework because
of the possibility of its continued use (mostly expected to be due to
nostalgia).  Indeed, I switched to using Git even for private one-person
projects a long time ago myself.

So I would not be terribly surprised if Eric happened not to be overly
enthusiastic about reintroducing RCS-only functionality that was weeded
out for reasons of practicality.

--
David Kastrup