trouble debugging emacs lately

From: joakim
Subject: trouble debugging emacs lately
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 09:14:15 +0200

Lately my Emacs hangs a lot, for no apparent reason.

Since I always run Emacs under gdb, I thought I could debug this
problem. However, gdb refuses to be useful with this particular hang.

I signal the Emacs process with ctrl-c in the debugger as usual.
Usually you can do a stack trace with bt and figure out what is wrong.

In this case, I do get the gdb prompt, but the main thread is still
running, and I can't really do anything useful. I've tried interrupting
the thread and so on, but the thread is still running.

Does anybody recognize this behavior, and can recommend a way forward?

--
Joakim Verona