Re: Please stop putting curly quotes into doc strings!

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Please stop putting curly quotes into doc strings!
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 15:24:50 -0700

On 09/09/2015 12:55 PM, T.V Raman wrote:
The only thing I'm asking for is that curly quotes in files  where
they exist be removed so  the codebase goes back to a pristine state.

That is too strong. Although I already removed almost all the curved quotes I introduced into doc strings, there were a few justifiable exceptions. For example, when the code is about curved quotes themselves it is fine for its documentation strings to use curved quotes. Here's the doc string for text-quoting-style:

  Style to use for single quotes when generating text.
  `curve' means quote with curved single quotes \\=‘like this\\=’.
  `straight' means quote with straight apostrophes \\='like this\\='.
  `grave' means quote with grave accent and apostrophe \\=`like this\\='.
  The default value nil acts like `curve' if curved single quotes are
  displayable, and like `grave' otherwise.

The two curved quotes in this docstring are good, because they show the user what curved quotes look like.