Re: yes-or-no-p prompt conditionally broken in master?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: yes-or-no-p prompt conditionally broken in master?
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2015 15:28:32 +0300

> From: Andreas Schwab <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,
> address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2015 11:26:46 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Any objections to removing yes-or-no-p (with a defalias for backward
> > compatibility, of course) and making y-or-n-p serve both duties,
> > controlled by some defcustom?
>
> That doesn't make sense.  They implement different intented meaning.

Sorry, I lost you: what different meaning is that?

The doc strings of the two functions say the same:

  (yes-or-no-p PROMPT)

  Ask user a yes-or-no question.
  Return t if answer is yes, and nil if the answer is no.
  PROMPT is the string to display to ask the question.  It should end in
  a space; ‘yes-or-no-p’ adds "(yes or no) " to it.

vs

  (y-or-n-p PROMPT)

  Ask user a "y or n" question.  Return t if answer is "y".
  PROMPT is the string to display to ask the question.  It should
  end in a space; ‘y-or-n-p’ adds "(y or n) " to it.