Re: text-quoting-style

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: text-quoting-style
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 13:03:03 +0000

Hello, Stefan.

First of all, sorry that my last post was a bit irritable.

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 11:31:20PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > I DO NOT WANT CURLY QUOTES IN MY EMACS!!!!!
> > How much more concrete can I get?

> Then I guess you should go back to Emacs-19, since AFAIK curly quotes
> have existed one way or another in Emacs ever since Emacs-20.

I find the state of quoting as of Emacs 24.5 to be quite acceptable.

> So, as far as I can tell, there's nothing we can to do help you.
> And text-quoting-style is no solution for you either, since Emacs's
> source code and many other documents will still come with those pesky
> thingies.

It's an Emacs tradition that controversial new features are optional.
Curly quotes is such a new feature.  Can you assure us all that this
tradition will be upheld with respect to curly quotes?

> IOW you agree that we should get rid of text-quoting-style.

If there will be a configuration mechanism to replace it which is
capable of configuring Emacs such that the quoting behaviour is
unchanged from 24.5, then I agree it can be got rid of.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).