Re: text-quoting-style

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: text-quoting-style
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 17:25:01 +0000

Hello, Stefan.

On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 12:42:37PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> Eli says:
> > For users who don't want the Unicode characters, even though their
> > display can show them.  Given the controversy, I think this is
> > justified.

> David says:
> > Display table tricks will not help with copy&paste to external
> > applications and with files processed by any program rather than Emacs.

> Paul says:
> > As I understand it, Alan introduced text-quoting-style because he did not
> > want curved quotes in any buffer or string, even curved quotes displayed as
> > grave accent and apostrophe.

This is abolutely correct.  :-)

> IIUC, all these are guesses or hypothetical needs.  So it looks like
> there is no really good reason for that config variable.

Paul's assertion I have just confirmed.  Unless I've missed or
misunderstood some development in the last two months or so, the need for
`text-quoting-style' still exists: if we're going to be doing clever
things to make ` and ' get converted, or appear to get converted, into
curly quotes, then a user must be able to enable/disable this conversion.

> At the very least it should not be a Custom var.

How could it be sensible not being a custom variable?  It's for user
customisation.

> And unless someone comes up with a better, first-hand reason, we should
> get rid of it.

The reason for its existence still holds.  Or is there some other
mechanism which achieves the same thing?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).