Re: text-quoting-style

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: text-quoting-style
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 18:31:10 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 08:00:36 -0700
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > E.g., start
> > Emacs in that way in such a locale, and then look at exec-path: if
> > there are any non-ASCII file names there, I expect you to see raw
> > bytes.
>
> I'm afraid I still don't understand this sort of scenario.  Any environment
> in
> which exec-path has unusual characters should be able to display those
> characters; if not, it's misconfigured, and programs other than Emacs will
> have
> trouble too.

When you set LC_ALL=C you "misconfigure" the environment.  The shell
is still running in the original locale, so the calls to getenv will
bring you the original non-ASCII characters.  (Or are you saying that
Posix systems will somehow convert the value of, say, PATH to adpat it
to the C locale?  Windows does such things, but I thought Posix
systems don't.)

When Emacs starts, it gets the values of various coding-systems,
including the one used for DECODE_SYSTEM, from the locale's codeset.
If you set LC_ALL=C, what will you get in locale-coding-system after
startup?  I don't think it will be your shell's codeset, will it?