Re: How to opt out of curly-quote spamming altogether?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to opt out of curly-quote spamming altogether?
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 18:22:38 +0300

> Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2015 21:16:18 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <address@hidden>
>
> `help-quote-translation' does seem to prevent curly quotes in
> *Help* buffers, so at least there's that.  But I'm looking for
> a switch to turn this virus OFF everywhere - to return to
> Classic Emacs.  Surely such a simple ON/OFF switch exists?

It doesn't.  What you see in Info is literal characters generated when
the documentation is built during the Emacs build process.  So, to
change that, you will have to regenerate the documentation, telling
makeinfo not to produce Unicode characters there.

Alternatively, you can set up your standard-display-table to display
those characters as their ASCII equivalents.