Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagno

From: Nicolas Richard
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagnostics
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 12:10:58 +0200

Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:
> Only if properly configured.  If you use these keyboards with the
> wrong settings, Compose ' O won't work, and there's no "Ó" key on the
> keyboard so you'll be stuck.  In these respects "Ó", "‘" and "’" are
> all in the same category on a Spanish keyboard.  And this is OK.

I don't know about Spanish keyboards.

On a french/belgian keyboard, however, some accented letters have their
own key (é è à ù), and for the rest of them we have dead keys. So for Ó,
I have <dead-acute> O.

The curly quotes OTOH are inconvenient to type for me. In emacs I now
know I can use "C-x 8 [" but that's 6 keys to press (numbers are shifted keys
unless I move to the numpad, and opening square bracket is obtained by
pressing AltGr and another key). I don't know yet how to type it outside
emacs. M-a M-k. I just found out how to type them outside emacs:
<compose> < ' is ‘ and <compose > ' is ’.

--
Nico