Re: emacs menu font in GTK-2 and GTK-3

From: Nelson H. F. Beebe
Subject: Re: emacs menu font in GTK-2 and GTK-3
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 14:09:19 -0600

Thanks to Paul Eggert's tips, and his pointer to

        http://superuser.com/questions/597076/gtk-3-menu-configuration-for-emacs

I now have a simple solution for GTK-3-based emacs builds that works for me,
and provides a larger, and more easily-readable, menu font:

    % cat ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css
    #pane #menubar,
    #pane #menubar GtkMenuShell,
    #pane #menubar GtkMenuShell *
    {
        font-family: "URWPalladio";
        font-size: 18px;
    }

I've done simple startup tests of the above initializations with

        emacs-23.4
        emacs-24.3.92
        emacs-24.3.93
        emacs-24.3.94
        emacs-24.4
        emacs-24.4.90
        emacs-24.5

on CentOS 7, and they all behave the same way: the menu bar is now
readable.

Until a few minutes ago when I did a mkdir, the directory
~/.config/gtk-3.0 did not exist on my system.

The above link suggests that such cascading-style-sheet file settings
are overly general, and apply to all GTK-based windows, instead of
restricting them to just emacs.

Perhaps other list members will have some insights on how to restrict
the initializations to just emacs.

I don't work in a Gnome window environment, so the generality does not
matter to me.  The important thing is that I can now get on with my
desktop migration from Solaris to CentOS 7, with my new
high-resolution display :^)!

- Department of Mathematics, 110 LCB    Internet e-mail: address@hidden  -
- 155 S 1400 E RM 233                       address@hidden  address@hidden -