Re: {Spam?} Re: progmodes/project.el and search paths

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: {Spam?} Re: progmodes/project.el and search paths
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2015 15:54:02 +0300

On 08/07/2015 03:40 PM, David Engster wrote:

EDE already has an interface. project.el allows to use (a small part of)
that interface through another, hence 'adapter'.

Well, it's a different interface. We can have several.

An adapter, in this case, is the project.el backend for EDE, which does little more than delegation.

Yes, but your usual answer so far was that you want a concrete package
that needs it, so there's a chicken/egg problem here.

I disagree with that assessment: we need "concrete" consumers in Emacs anyway (at least some basic implementations).

Not too long ago, there was a discussion on emacs-devel with people complaining that Emacs lacks a lot of IDE-like features.

If certain important features of project.el are only used by third-party code (or, even worse, are still waiting for someone to use them), I'm sure the complaints will continue.