Re: progmodes/project.el and search paths

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: progmodes/project.el and search paths
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 18:36:08 +0300

On 08/05/2015 06:08 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

If EDE finds this useful, what doubt is there that other Lisp programs
will?  How many examples do we need before we decide that a specific
trait of a project is "useful"?  I say one is enough (sometimes more
than enough).

A trait should be useful *and* fairly common.

Do you see someone in a hurry to rewrite EDE on top of project.el? I don't. So we have zero potential consumers so far.

Short of that, I can't think of a non-EDE elisp program that would want
to know about targets. There might be one someday; we can extend
project.el then.

That's exactly my problem: I find such an approach surprising, to say
the least, when building such basic infrastructure.

On the other hand, it wastes less time on speculative features, and the API is almost guaranteed to turn out better in the end.

I think there
should be small doubt that access to project documentation, including
its build command, is one of these basics, because every project has
that.

I don't even know what "access to project documentation" means. Is it just the build command? Or the paths of resulting files? Or their formats? Or an index? Or a way to display them?