[ANNOUNCE] An Elisp port of XCB, along with an X window manager

From: Chris Feng
Subject: [ANNOUNCE] An Elisp port of XCB, along with an X window manager
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2015 08:21:20 +0800

For those interested, I've recently managed to port XCB (X protocol
C-language Binding) to Emacs [1], and it seems we can make use of it
to build low-level X11 applications. Besides, I've also implemented some
utility libraries [2] necessary for, e.g., building an X window
manager. Indeed, I'm currently working on an X window manager for
Emacs called EXWM [3], and have been using it for some while. I
should say that it basically works though it's far from stable.

There is a similar project called XWEM [4, 5], an X window manager for
XEmacs/SXEmacs based on an Elisp port of Xlib (either
through socket or FFI). As far as I know it does not work on GNU
Emacs. On the other hand, there was some discussion on the list about
making Emacs an X window manager (or something analogous) [6 - 8]. I
hope this work would make sense to some of you, and that someone,
especially those experienced in X11 programming, would join me in
improving it.

Links:
[1] XELB <https://github.com/ch11ng/xelb>
[2] Utility libraries for XELB <https://github.com/ch11ng/xelb-util>
[3] EXWM <https://github.com/ch11ng/exwm>
[4] XWEM (with Xlib through socket) <http://www.nongnu.org/xwem/>
[5] XWEM (with Xlib through FFI) <https://github.com/zevlg/xwem>
[6] "Emacs as a desktop environment"
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2011-05/msg00746.html>
[7] "Emacs as the windows manager for graphical windows, How can I
help?" <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2013-04/msg00077.html>
[8] "Emacs as WM"
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2014-08/msg00151.html>