Re: Tooltips GC overhead

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Tooltips GC overhead
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 17:40:25 +0200

>> Is the tree printing routine deficient?
>
> Yes.  Please try 'configure --with-wide-int'.  We really should make that the
default.

Does that mean I have to recompile all elisp files?  Because just doing
that (on Windows 32) followed by `make' makes the number appear more or
less the same and the percentages mostly negative.  For example, I now
get

    - tooltip-show                                        37,978,113  -9%
      - x-show-tip                                         17,048,133  -8%

The numbers on my Debian 64 Gtk build are roughly the same (although the
percentages show up correctly there).  So if you are only concerned
about the percentages, then this could be a problem of my Windows builds
(or the gcc I use there).

Anyway.  If you do `profiler-start', move the mouse over your mode line
for a few seconds so that tooltips show up a couple of times and then do
`profiler-report' and look at the results: Can you tell me from your
report where `tooltip-show' allocates more than half of the bytes it
allocates if _not_ in `x-show-tip'?

martin