Re: xref and leaving "temporary" buffers open

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: xref and leaving "temporary" buffers open
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 17:40:33 +0200

>> I suppose you mean that `find-file-hidden' should always behave the same
>> as `find-file-noselect' but for setting the hidden flag.
>
> In this case it wouldn't set the flag either. If the file is already open,
just return its buffer. The caller can then proceed to read its contents.

Suppose a user is visiting a file ~/foo/bar in a buffer called bar and
has set `uniquify-buffer-name-style' to 'post-forward-angle-brackets.
Now xref visits a file ~/bar/bar which the user has _not_ visited yet.
In this case uniquify will rename the first buffer to bar<foo> and name
the second buffer bar<bar>.  The user will notice that her buffer has
been renamed although she has no idea that a buffer bar<bar> exists.

> I suppose. That's the same issue I mentioned WRT find-buffer-visiting, right?

Probably.  I forgot.  How many files do we need to make this investment
pay off?

martin