Re: Package initialization

From: Chad Brown
Subject: Re: Package initialization
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 10:25:02 -0700

I’m making a few guesses here, and I might be wrong, but I believe it
might help resolve a difference in understanding.

> On 20 Jul 2015, at 10:01, Helmut Eller <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> I have the impression that the left hand doesn't know what the right
> hand wants.  In the manual they say that it's ok to add things to
> auto-mode-alist, but then Stefan says that packages should not be
> enabled automatically.

It seems like most of your objections stem from this, and it further
seems like the difference in understanding stems from the difference
between a _guideline_ concerning additions and a _rule_ concerning
additions and replacements.

For example, if I install a package that adds a markdown-mode, its
probably ok to have it add markdown-mode for .md files to auto-mode-list.
If I install AUCTeX, its probably ok for the installation to set
some variables so that M-x preview-latex works, but it probably doesn’t
want to override the bindings for .tex, .ltx, .sty, etc.

It’s not clear to me if you’re aware of this difference and unhappy
about it, or unaware of this difference and unhappy about the
results, or both.

Hope that helps,
~Chad