Re: Coordinates and Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Coordinates and Windows
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 17:57:00 +0300

> Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 09:00:24 +0200
> From: martin rudalics <address@hidden>
>
> My intention is to remove this difference and make the "coordinate
> origin" for all systems the top/left corner of the root window of the
> respective frame.  Practically, this is what the GTK+ build does now.

This would mean the tool bar window (it is a real window drawn by
Emacs in non-GTK builds) will yield negative frame-relative Y
coordinates, won't it?  We didn't have such calamity until now, and
even if it did work, it would be confusing, I think.

Also, what about the menu bar, in particular on TTY frames?  Will the
screen estate used for the menu bar also have negative coordinates?

And don't forget that some modes, like gdb-mi, simulate the tool bar
below the menu bar on TTY frames -- what about those?

Perhaps we should do it the other way around: make the coordinates in
the GTK build be measured from the upper-left corner of the frame,
including the tool bar?  I think this will be more natural and easy to
deal with.