Re: python.el patch proposal: Respect `prog-indentation-context'.

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: python.el patch proposal: Respect `prog-indentation-context'.
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 12:53:28 -0600

>>>>> "Christoph" == Wedler, Christoph <address@hidden> writes:

Christoph> But you are right, one should aim for improvements here, too.  At the
Christoph> moment, it has lesser priority for me - after all, wrong syntax
Christoph> highlighting just corrupts the appearance of the code whereas wrong
Christoph> indentation corrupts the code itself.

I asked because it seems to me that many mode indenters look at the
syntax to decide what to do.

While digging around I found this in syntax.el:

    ;;; Todo:

    ;; - do something about the case where the syntax-table is changed.

So I suppose it is just a known problem.

The basic idea, I think, would be to let the mode(s) change the syntax
table when needed; and to have these changes be recorded by syntax.el so
that syntax-ppss and friends could use the correct syntax table for a
given region.

Tom