Re: A simple solution to "Upcoming loss of usability ..."

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: A simple solution to "Upcoming loss of usability ..."
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 14:09:14 -0700

Dmitry Gutov wrote:
I've described the possible options in the previous message here of this
subthread (in the second half):

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2015-06/msg00592.html

I'm afraid I don't understand those options. I can't make heads or tails of what was suggested there.

How about if you pick a plausible option and give a realistic example showing (1) what the source code would be, (2) how the source code would be displayed, (3) what the *Help* buffer would be, (4) how the *Help* buffer would be displayed normally, and (5) how the *Help* buffer would be displayed if the user requests ASCII approximations.

You're objecting to a simple approach where (1) thru (4) are typically all the same and use curved quotes, and where (5) uses ASCII approximations. I don't know what you're proposing in place of this.

BTW, do you have an example we can easily refer to when testing the patches?

I don't think any single example will illustrate all the gotchas. But how about if we start with the previously-mentioned example, e.g., type ‘C-h texinfo-format-verb’ after loading textmodes/texinfmt?