Re: A simple solution to "Upcoming loss of usability ..."

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: A simple solution to "Upcoming loss of usability ..."
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 15:15:38 -0700

Dmitry Gutov wrote:

But if we want to
use font-lock to alter how quotes are displayed, these heuristics won't
work well, as they'll fail to alter many quotes that they should alter.

Why do you think so? We can alter any quotes we want using font-lock too.

Whatever heuristics we use are likely to be wrong for many real-world uses in Elisp code. Many uses of grave accent in Elisp strings, characters, and comments are intended to be grave accent, not left quote. Similarly for apostrophe and right quote. It's unlikely that any easy-to-explain heuristic based on font-lock will distinguish among the uses reliably.

>> Yes, I would like the markup to head that way.  But the Emacs source
>> docstrings have largely not needed to change, and there's no need to
>> change them right now.
>
> That's sneaky wording. You obviously want them to change.

There was no intent to be sneaky. I don't see how one can interpret my remarks in any way other than saying that I would like the markup to change eventually.