Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 09:55:27 -0400

  > The intent is to move to the simpler form, which uses curved quotes
uniformly.

To call it "simpler" is an exaggeration, for such a tiny simplification.

But it may cause substantial problems for some people.

For instance, how will this affect developers whose terminals won't
display curly quotes, in editing the source code?
How does Emacs display curly quotes on such terminals?

  > > To understand Emacs Lisp (beyond the rudiments) one must learn an awful
lot.

  > Comments and strings and doc strings are part of the rudiments.

That's more false than true.

The general ideas of comments and strings are part of the rudiments.
The general ideas of doc strings, not quite so much.

The full conventions for doc strings are definitely not
part of the rudiments.

--
Dr Richard Stallman