Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 21:55:26 +0300

On 06/17/2015 04:03 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

To me, one of the motivations for the change (after the visual aspect) is
to have a *more* robust handling because it is *less* ambiguous (within
the context of Elisp).

That is probably true, but by that logic, using rare unicode characters is a great choice for any markup language. Yet, I don't see anybody doing that.

Another reason to use ‘‘ instead of anything else, seems to be that we're going to translate `' into those anyway. But that won't necessarily hold true forever: the quotes themselves aren't required.

Markdown, for instance, when rendered, only emphasizes code segments using a special tag, which translates into a different font face/color/etc. I don't see why we won't choose to do that, or allow users to customize that aspect.