Re: antlr-mode.el - need some support by python.el

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: antlr-mode.el - need some support by python.el
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2015 20:46:24 +0300

On 06/05/2015 05:17 PM, Wedler, Christoph wrote:

Many modes use more than the current line / code chunk in their
indentation calculations.  For example, in `c-guess-basic-syntax', the
outer language constructs are also considered.  If the indentation
engine of the inner mode just see the code chunks, there is a potential
problem...

I think the string value is not ideal, because then the inner mode can't cache syntactic information, and reuse it between chunks. This is something we probably want to facilitate.

Adapting the current major mode indentation code to work with either kind of PREVIOUS-CHUNKS value, looks non-trivial as well.

I don't currently have a better suggestion, though. But this proposal could use a corresponding patch to cc-mode.