Re: Wrong PATH in MSYS2/MINGW64 builds?

From: Angelo Graziosi
Subject: Re: Wrong PATH in MSYS2/MINGW64 builds?
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 17:41:45 +0200

Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 15:56:07 +0200
From: Angelo Graziosi <address@hidden>
Cc: address@hidden

Trying to visit a bzip2 file (foo.txt.bz2) with
mingw-w64-emacs-git-r121447.8a9ba4d-1 installed package, I got

   Uncompression program `bzip2' not found

So, trying

    (getenv "PATH")

from scratch buffer, prints:

"C:\\Windows\\system32;C:\\Windows;C:\\Windows\\System32\\Wbem;C:\\Windows\\System32\\WindowsPowerShell\\v1.0\\"

In which of these directories do you have bzip2.exe?

BTW I HAVE bzip2 installed (both in MINGW64 and MSYS2 shells):

MINGW64 ~
$ type bzip2
bzip2 is /mingw64/bin/bzip2

MSYS ~
$ type bzip2
bzip2 is /usr/bin/bzip2

This doesn't tell anything, since you obviously typed these commands
from some Unixy shell, and the resulting file name isn't related to
any of the directories shown in PATH above.  A native build of Emacs
doesn't know about all the "mounted" directories created by MSYS and
Cygwin, it searches only the native Windows PATH.  You should make
sure your bzip2.exe is found in one of those directories, or add its
directory to system-wide PATH before starting Emacs.

OK. In part, I have just replied to Oscar...

The package is a Windows native build. I start it with a link on status bar or Start menu with:

  Target :  C:\msys64\mingw64\bin\runemacs.exe
  From   :  C:\msys64\mingw64\bin

On MSYS2/MINGW64 all executable are installed in C:\msys64\mingw64\bin. The above commands (type bzip2...) where only the short way to say that emacs.exe and bzip2.exe where installed in the same C:\msys64\mingw64\bin directory..

As I noticed in replaying to Oscar, getenv "PATH" does not show C:\msys64\mingw64\bin in the PATH. For this reason I am asking if this is, in some way, to be expected under Windows or if the MSYS2/MINGW64 build should be still tuned..

From your answer, it seems the first. I don't like the idea to change the system-wide PATH. Maybe someone has some idea about how to patch Emacs (on Windows) so that at least the directory where is emacs.exe is added to PATH.

Ciao,
 Angelo.