Re: Proper English Title Capitalization

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Proper English Title Capitalization
Date: Mon, 25 May 2015 18:59:49 +0200

Karl Voit <address@hidden> writes:

>> Good idea, I can never memorize those goofy rules.
>
> "Those goofy rules" are much more complicated than
> I thought.
>
> I did some research: What is proper English
> title capitalization? [...]

The authoritative source is probably a grammar book
from the sturdy and meticulous islanders themselves,
which is Oxford in my experience.

Perhaps it is in this book?

    @book{new-oxford-dictionary-for-scientific,
      title      = {The New Oxford Dictionary for Scientific Writers and
Editors},
      author     = {Elizabeth Martin},
      edition    = {Second edition},
      publisher  = {Oxford University Press},
      year       = 2009,
      ISBN-13    = 9780199545155
    }

But I don't think those web sources that you mention
are necessarily bad. They should get all or most of it
right. Only when they contradict each other a book has
the advantage to be a permanent source to point to as
the basis of the implementation.

> I was surprised that this quite handy function is
> not part of Emacs yet.

More or less. I think most often, the people who care
don't need it as they know the rules, and the people
who don't care don't look for it.

But I agree it is useful, so when you have perfected
the Elisp, send it to the ELPA or some of the other
repositories. You can then re-use parts of the
homepage text as documentation.

And, I appreciate the compliment [1] tho I suspect you
have already spent much more time on the issue than I.
But I'm glad I could help you get started.

[1] http://karl-voit.at/2015/05/25/elisp-title-capitalization/

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573