Re: Should Text motion commands have no menu entry?

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Should Text motion commands have no menu entry?
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 09:04:36 +0600

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 8:31 AM, Vaidheeswaran C
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Does Notepad (or any of the other editors) support motion by sentences
> and paragraphs and pages?  Is it possible they have no entries for
> these because they don't support it?

Word and LibreOffice Writer do support motion by pages and a few other
things. LibreOffice does not have menu entries for these by default,
but has three small toolbuttons below the vertical scrollbar. (Word
does not even *have* a menu since the advent of the Ribbon interface
in 2007.)

The LibreOffice Writer Help has an index entry named “Shortcut Keys
for LibreOffice Writer”, which lists keys for moving by character,
word, line, paragraph and screen page, but not keys for these
medium-distance jumps. The Customize dialog reveals that they are not
bound to any keys by default. (But Customize is an advanced feature
that can both alter key bindings and add menu items.)

I vaguely recall that Word bound medium-distance jumps to something
like Ctrl+PgUp/PgDn and that binding was modal — it jumped by pages by
default, but you could click a button and choose another object type
and it would jump by those objects thereafter.