Re: xref-find-matches and stuff

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: xref-find-matches and stuff
Date: Fri, 8 May 2015 22:42:35 +0300

On 05/08/2015 09:42 PM, Vitalie Spinu wrote:

Ok. Then that's not something that I would be happy with. If I want a
symbol which is in the 2nd backed but nor in the first one, then there
is no way I can access that symbol.

And my point is, the backends should be made well enough that you generally won't want to use a symbol from the 2nd backend that isn't in the first one. Ideally because there will be no such symbols.

I'm sure there can be situations when people might still want to merge backends, but imenu+etags+major mode, so far, doesn't make a convincing case.

I also don't think that backends that provide more symbols should be
given priority over backends which produce fewer but more targeted
candidates.

We won't prioritize more vs fewer. Instead, the elements in xref-backends will be positioned in the order of priority. The first (thus, higher priority) backend that returns a non-nil completion table, will be used.