Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 8b7e2c4: python.el: Fix warnings on looking-bac

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 8b7e2c4: python.el: Fix warnings on looking-back calls missing LIMIT
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 02:41:15 -0400

> -        (when (looking-back regexp)
> +        (when (looking-back regexp (point-min))

BTW, I didn't apply this myself when I cleaned up various other
occurrences of the looking-back warning, because I didn't know what
better value to put there than `point-min'.

Having `point-min' here means that we will sometimes stupidly search for
the regexp all the way to point-min, which can introduce
serious inefficiencies.  Of course, that's how the code has always
worked, but the purpose the making the second arg explicit is to call
the attention to this problem.

So, here's the question: is `point-min' really the best we can do here?

        Stefan