Re: Is INLINE_HEADER_BEGIN still useful?

From: Oleh Krehel
Subject: Re: Is INLINE_HEADER_BEGIN still useful?
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 17:33:03 +0200

Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:

> Oleh Krehel wrote:
>> I got no warnings when I tested my buffer.h patch.
>
> Try './configure --enable-gcc-warnings'.  Certainly the warnings do
> appear on some modern GCC implementations -- otherwise we wouldn't
> have gone to all that work to suppress them so recently.

OK, but that just makes each warning into an error.  My build terminates
for unused variable "spool_name", which is unused because I don't have
the right configuration.

>> Maybe someone on the list
>> could respond if they use a compiler that doesn't support the C99
>> "inline" declaration?
>
> It's not as simple as that.  Although most compilers have grokked the
> 'inline' keyword for some time, this does not imply full support for
> C99 'inline' everywhere.  For example, OS X 10.8's standard headers do
> not work when used by extern inline functions, so Emacs can't simply
> assume C99 inline will work on this relatively recent platform
> (released July 2012 and still in wide use).

Not all inline are extern inline, buffer.h doesn't need to be extern
inline, if I understand correctly. But anyway, if you say it's needed,
it's needed.

One more question, is there a list of platforms on which Emacs is known
to build fine, by version? Maybe 25.1 doesn't build on OS X 10.8 for
reasons other than C99 compatibility.

Oleh