Re: Bad moves with xref-find-definitions

From: Vitalie Spinu
Subject: Re: Bad moves with xref-find-definitions
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 17:31:26 +0200

 >>> Dmitry Gutov on Sun, 26 Apr 2015 03:20:01 +0300 wrote:

 > But 2-3 keypresses sounds like a serious under-estimate to me either way. For
 > instance, when I'm on some unrelated symbol, making `C-h f' pick

You have a very emacs-lisp-biased-view. In languages with namespaces and
good taste for names (clojure as example) filtering candidates is very
efficient.

It's even more so for languages with narrower scope, like those for
technical computing (R, julia, matlab). I can assure you that in R, with
ido, candidate selection is a breeze and 2-3 keys are often enough to
get what you want. It really beats navigation-to-the-symbol to the
ground AFAIC.

  Vitalie