RE: Improving browsing and discoverability in the Packages Menu

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Improving browsing and discoverability in the Packages Menu
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 18:07:36 -0700 (PDT)

> :-) I'd love to be able to apply custom marks -- simple regexp on
> package name  or repo would do -- then one could hide, unhide,
> install delete or whatever else.

Yes, and not just apply custom marks (as in Dired, where you can
use any marks you like, not just `*').  But much of the rest of
Dired's handling of marks (and deletion flags) too.

This includes `M-DEL' (and `C-u M-DEL'), which removes a specific
mark (or any marks) from each entry.

Dired should (in general) be a good model to follow, for general
stuff that is not file-specific.  This includes omitting,
navigating, operating on marked entries in various ways, hiding
details, etc.

If you end up grouping packages, a Dired analogy for that could
be directories (which group files, and even do so at any number
of levels).

Let users include ("insert") group listings, jump back and forth
between the group name and its listing, etc.

The Dired UI is pretty good - tried & true.