Re: Calling (package-initialize) sooner during initialization

From: Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer
Subject: Re: Calling (package-initialize) sooner during initialization
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 20:16:55 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> On 04/18/2015 08:16 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>
>> Or else, have package-initialize be called by customize-set-variables.
>
> This would be the easiest to implement, I think.

It contradicts with the goal of running package-initialize before the
before loading init.el.

We probably don't want to apply Customize settings before (or at the
start of) loading init.el, do we?

So I would go with making Customize smarter and writing settings in the
package group to pre-package-init.el or `package-custom-file' (analogous
to `custom-file').

Given that

1. initialization of installed packages intuitively belongs before
   specific to some packages),

2. one might nevertheless want to configure the package system itself,

I don't see any clean solution other than to separate pre-package
configuration from normal configuration, be it for Customize or user
init files.

Does anyone see disadvantages with this design?  I think it's the most
sensible approach.

Taylan