Re: master e45dbdc: package--ensure-init-file: widen requires save-restr

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: master e45dbdc: package--ensure-init-file: widen requires save-restriction
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 14:55:42 -0400

> * Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> [2015-04-15 20:34:44 +0300]:
>
>> From: Sam Steingold <address@hidden>
>> Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 13:06:12 -0400
>>
>> > * Glenn Morris <address@hidden> [2015-04-15 11:32:35 -0400]:

>> > Please use a ChangeLog-like format for your commit messages. Eg
>> >
>> > * lisp/emacs-lisp/package.el (package--ensure-init-file): Save restriction.
>>
>> I am confused.
>> We can get file information from git.
>> Why do we need to introduce this constraint on messages just as we
>> celebrating liberation from ChangeLog files?
>
> How else do you expect the ChangeLog to be generated in its correct
> format at release time?  By what magic?

    patch=$(git format-patch -1 $hash)
    files=$(grep 'diff --git' $patch | sed s',^.*b/,,')
    rm $patch

However, I did not realized that we are going to generate ChangeLog
files "in their correct format".
I am sure this has been discussed here and sufficiently convincing
arguments in favor of generating them have been advanced to ensure that
the parties involved would not be swayed by my dismay :-(

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.1347
http://www.childpsy.net/ http://memri.org http://islamexposedonline.com