Re: Stash

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
Subject: Re: Stash
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2015 09:55:54 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
There's no alternative here but to learn to use a different command
for showing that:

   git status --short

It should produce approximately the same display as you are used to
with CVS:

    M modified-file1
    M modified-file2
   ?? unregistered-file1

But note that there are *two* flag characters at the beginning of each line: One for what's in the index, and the second for the file in the work tree.

I find it useful to add --branch to the flags.

And I find it extremely useful to employ git's aliasing mechanism:

; git config --global alias.s 'status --short --branch'
; git help s
`git s' is aliased to `status --short --branch'
; git s
## master...origin/master
;

Make your own shortcuts to often used commands this way. It makes your life simpler, at the possible expense of making it harder to explain your actions to others. (Just include the necessary “git help” commands if you need to explain what you have been doing.)

– Harald