Re: VC mode and git

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2015 04:08:13 +0900

Eli Zaretskii writes:
 > > From: Harald Hanche-Olsen <address@hidden>

 > > The usual answer to this is to use development branches instead
 > > of workin directly in the master branch. I think it was decided
 > > not to recommend these for simple workflows, but I don't think it
 > > is that much harder, and it is certainly easier than having
 > > separate repositories.
 >
 > It also requires to use at least one more command ("git merge"),

You can pull from a branch in the same repo.  As far as I know,

    git pull . other

is the same as

    git merge other

(there may be some technical difference involving a tracking branch in
the case of pull).  Of course, you may consider that a separate
command since pull requires arguments that need not be specified for
master in a repo created by git clone.

 > and brings additional risks, like if you pull to or push from the
 > wrong branch.

It should be possible to use "git config" to set up per-branch
defaults that are correct.

I was going to suggest this workflow.  The problem in Richard's
workflow is that he probably expects that when he's working
simultaneously in different modules (some changes being coded, others
being beta-tested), he should be able to tweak them more or less
independently.  But then he'd need to make small "correction" commits
rather than amending the last commit, and cherrypick (or rebase
--interactive) to master for the push.  I imagine he'd consider that
inconvenient.