Re: VC mode and git

From: Sergey Organov
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2015 17:43:36 +0300

Eli, here is how our conversation went so far (emphasizes are mine):

You [trying to show how bad Git documentation is]:

     So what does it mean to "incorporate changes in the current
     branch", if the branch is just a pointer?

Me:  Incorporating changes means the same thing every time: commit.
     What's new or unusual about it?

You: A merge does much more than just commit.  At least AFAIU.

Me:  Dunno what you have in mind. After true merge operation is
     finished, the only result of it is single commit appended to your
     current branch. Git /is/ that simple. *All the possible complexity
     is in the stage of content preparation for this commit.*

You: [as the answer to "Dunno what you have in mind"]:

     The changes to meta-data that reflect the changes in the history
     DAG.

Me:  No meta-data outside of the commit, AFAIK. [then explaining the
     only 2 references of meta-data stored in commit]

You: That meta-data needs to be brought in as part of the merge, *in
     addition to changes to the tree*.

Me:  What did you mean? What changes to what meta-data? Reflecting what
     changes in the history DAG?

And now I got your recent answer that doesn't even mention either "DAG"
or "meta-data", but rather suddenly unveils the fact that 'git merge'
computes *changes to the tree* before committing the result. I'm sorry,
but I have to give-up at this point.

-- Sergey.