Re: Emacs 24.5 second release candidate

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs 24.5 second release candidate
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2015 15:00:55 +0300

> Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2015 11:51:42 +0000
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>   address@hidden
> From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>
>
> > How about simply reverting d69e9f1c24f37f36af33b0468c5a4e100dbb09b6?
> > I'd like to avoid holding 24.5, unless reverting that commit would
> > result in some very bad behavior in frequent use cases.
>
> I think this would be for the best.  It's just the bug it "fixed" will
> remain apparent.  Could you perhaps give me a tip as to how best to
> revert a commit with git?

Like this:

 $ git revert d69e9f1c24f37f36af33b0468c5a4e100dbb09b6

This applies the reverse changes, and commits them.  IOW, the original
commit is not removed; instead, a new commit is added that undoes the
effects of that old commit.

Then "git show" to see what you are about to push, and then "git
push".

Be sure to do this in the emacs-24 branch, i.e. "git checkout emacs-24"
before doing the above.

Thanks.