Re: VC mode and git

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2015 10:06:25 +0300

> Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2015 14:32:32 -0700
> From: Daniel Colascione <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>  address@hidden
>
> When I develope a major new feature, it's usually because I'm scratching
> some personal itch. I want to take advantage of whatever the feature
> provides while I develop it. I also want to use the latest bugfixes and
> unrelated features from Emacs trunk. Regularly rebasing my feature work
> on top of trunk is the best way to accomplish both goals.

I prefer to let more people use the features I develop, so I generally
try to merge to master as soon as possible.  Then the issue with
merges from master and rebasing is solved automatically.

Even if I wanted to use the feature only by myself for a while, I'd
probably start a new branch, separate from development, which would be
a mirror of master with my changes applied.

Anyway, all this just means is our development methodologies differ;
nothing wrong with that.  I described mine because I presume it should
be easier on people whose Git proficiency is just starting to be
built.