Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/highlight-n-windows 6da5ca1 2/2: Set `mark-act

From: Oleh Krehel
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/highlight-n-windows 6da5ca1 2/2: Set `mark-active' to selected window
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2015 17:46:39 +0200

Drew Adams <address@hidden> writes:

>> > I think there's a good chance some code out there still sets mark-active
>> > to t, so we should handle this case conservatively (i.e. highlight in all
>> > windows displaying this buffer).
>
> Is the intention that the use of a non-window, non-nil value
> will be deprecated at some point?

I think so, since if a package sets it to t, and user has
`highlight-nonselected-windows' it would upset the user.  A different
solution would be to introduce a new variable that mirrors
`mark-active'. But that would make `mark-active' redundant w.r.t. that
variable.

> Or is the use of a window in some way preferable/recommended?
> If so, is that change in preference documented, including describing
> any differences in behavior that using a window introduces?

I will try to make the mark and `mark-active' window-local instead of
just `buffer-local'. In that case, it will still be fine to have
`mark-active' set to t. I don't yet know how hard this task would be.

Oleh