Re: VC mode and git

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2015 17:20:59 +0300

> Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2015 08:18:56 +0200
> From: Harald Hanche-Olsen <address@hidden>
> Cc: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
>     Richard's repo is tangled *because* he, like you, doesn't commit until
>     he's ready to push.
>
> That's overstating it; it is clear from his reflog (posted to the list) that
> he committed three times before the disaster. He did neglect to commit *once*
> before pulling, that is true. I used to think that is what caused his
> problems too, but Eli says he *should* pull before committing, so that can't
> be the reason.

No, this is a misunderstanding.  I didn't say that pulling before
committing will never cause any problems, I just said that problems it
could cause, such as this one, will be easier for Richard to
understand, because they are very similar to what happens with CVS in
the same situation.

In any case, whether he pulls before checkin, or tries to checkin and
if that fails, commits locally, then pulls, then retries the checkin,
Richard will have to learn how to deal with the failure.  I just think
it will be easier for him to adapt to the former than to the latter.
But it's for Richard to decide, obviously.

In addition, Richard should install the git-merge-changelog driver (or
wait until we stop using ChangeLog files), because then the merge
conflicts during pull with uncommitted changes will be much more rare.